Elkus Manfredi Architects is focused on creating dynamic, connected, sustainable environments—from compact workplaces to urban neighborhoods. Our synergistic combination of services includes architecture, interior architecture, master planning, and urban design. With a 30+ year legacy of design distinction, the firm is recognized for its work with corporate, life sciences, higher education, hospitality, residential, and retail-entertainment clients.
Elkus Manfredi Architects is committed to building an inclusive and welcoming culture that promotes, supports, and values diversity. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view and encourage a culture where differences are valued. We believe diversity drives innovation and fosters a cross-pollination of ideas that benefits both our firm and our clients. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and tools designed to help employees grow and successfully manage their careers. We continually strive to strengthen our recruitment and retention strategies to make our firm more inclusive, diverse, and welcoming.
The Project Accounting Manager is key member of the accounting department and project management team. You are responsible for ensuring that department staff are providing timely and accurate billing, budgeting, and financial forecasting support to Project Managers, who manage architecture and design projects. You are directly responsible for providing support to Project Managers working on complex projects, while managing and developing a team that can support projects of increasing complexity. On a daily basis, you use, analyze, and implement improvements on processes and tools used by the firm to manage project finances.
This role is for you if you are adept at seeing how people, tasks, processes and tools work together to produce outcomes and identifying ways to optimize operations. You are a detail-oriented producer, tech savvy, and a skilled people manager, who will work collaboratively with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and staff to support the firm and set and achieve goals. You have strong communication skills and drawing from your experience and ability to learn, will be a trusted advisor and mentor who fosters a positive, high-performing, and professional work culture.
You will join a smart, collaborative group that is committed to supporting one another. You’ll learn how a project-based accounting group functions at one of the most renowned architecture firms in Boston, with visibility into the firm’s operations, the accounting process, and the opportunity to work on a wide variety of tasks and projects.
This position reports to the CFO and will be hybrid (3 days in Boston, MA and 2 days remote).
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all activities of the accounting department staff are effectively and efficiently contributing to the achievement of the department and firm’s objectives.
- Collaborate with the firm’s Human Resource Business Partners to staff and train the accounting department.
- Manage the performance and professional development of the accounting department’s staff.
- Assist with the establishment and implementation of short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures.
- Assist in the planning and direction of accounting systems, procedures and controls to insure appropriate accountability for revenues and expenditure.
- Advise the CFO on billing, accounting, and business matters affecting the department and firm’s short-/mid-/long-term operations.
- Develop processes and business partner relationships with internal and external groups that will improve the flow of financial information within the company.
- Manage the transition from Deltek Vision to Deltek Vantagepoint ensuring continuity of accounting department information, data, and operations.
- Ensure the accurate and timely preparation and delivery of regular and ad hoc management reports.
- Provide timely, accurate and collaborative support to Project Managers managing budgets for complex architecture projects.
- Examine invoices, expense vouchers and other source documents to verify obligations and post appropriate records.
- Examine data and prepare invoices to clients.
- Assist in gathering and reviewing data for preparation of budgets.
Required Education, Experience, and Credentials
- Bachelor’s Degree; in Business or Accounting preferred.
- 5+ years of experience managing staff.
- 10+ years of experience in accounting, billing, or financial management.
- Experience working project-based professional services firm; in an architecture firm preferred.
- Experience using enterprise resource planning (ERP) or other firm-wide project accounting software; Deltek Vision or Vantagepoint preferred.
- Experience as a member of an ERP or other firm-wide software implementation or transition team preferred.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Advanced ability with MS Excel.
- Proficient ability with MS Office Suite.
- Ability to use ERP or project cost-accounting software to perform tasks; Deltek Vision or Vantagepoint preferred.
- Strong detail-orientation.
- Strong process improvement orientation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong leadership, management, and mentoring skills.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Ability to identify and seek out missing information.
- Ability to quickly contextualize tasks in the bigger picture of department and firm processes and goals.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with colleagues, clients, and vendors.
Benefits and Perks
- Ten (10) paid vacation days per year.
- Eleven (11) paid fixed holidays and two (2) paid floating holidays per year.
- Ten (10) paid sick days per year.
- Health insurance, 70% employer paid; multiple plan options including a no-deductible plan, Health Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account and/or Flexible Spending Account for pre-tax medical and dependent care expenses.
- Dental and vision insurance, 70% employer paid.
- Employer paid life, AD&D, short, and long term disability insurance, w/optional additional employee paid coverages.
- 401(k) with employer match.
- Employee Assistance Program for counseling, legal, and financial assistance.
- Free annual membership to Blue Bikes.
- Pre-tax commuter and parking benefits.
- Free shuttles to and from the Innovation & Design Building and South Station or North Station during peak commute hours.
- Coffee all day and deeply discounted market snacks.
If you are interested in this position, please apply via LinkedIn Easy Apply: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3416467752/.
Elkus Manfredi Architects provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, genetic information, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training. If you are interested in a career with Elkus Manfredi please apply via LinkedIn Easy Apply listed on the bottom left or email a cover letter and resume to: