Cathedral of the Holy Cross
Client: Archdiocese of Boston
- Originally consecrated in 1875, the Cathedral of the Holy Cross measures 364 feet long, 90 feet wide, and 120 feet high from the finished basement floor to the ridge of the nave attic.
- Renovation of the Cathedral’s sanctuary and nave created a more expansive environment that brought the congregants closer to the altar.
- New floor finishes, refreshed interior finishes, new liturgical appointments and furnishings, and restored historical paint details reinvigorated the interiors.
- All of the Cathedral’s restored stained glass windows were illuminated with backlighting, while discretely placed, all-LED lighting fixtures introduced more light into the interiors.
- Designers integrated new mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, including first-ever air conditioning for the sanctuary and nave, and fire protection systems.
Photos: © Robert Benson and George Martell
Society of American Registered Architects | New York Council
Honor Award: Historic Preservation — Professional Design Awards